Do you charge a fee?
No, we do not charge any fees to publish your book. Like a traditional publishing company, we earn a profit when we sell books to readers through our distribution channels and marketing campaigns.
What royalties will I earn?
We pay our authors 50% of net royalties and 50% of all payments received for subsidiary rights licensing deals. If we earn $10,000 in royalties, you get paid 50% of that amount, or $5,000.
If we earn $5,000 for a 5-year deal to license German language rights for your book, you earn 50% or $2,500.
It’s just that simple: for every dollar your book brings in, you get half (which is 3-5x more than what you would get with a traditional publisher).
How much will I earn for each book sold by TCK Publishing?
That depends on several factors which we will try to explain as succinctly as possible here.
For eBooks: 50% Royalties of Net Royalties*
We distribute eBooks through Amazon exclusively in the KDP Select program in most instances, because we have tested it and it’s been proven to produce higher royalties and profits than distributing to other eBook retailers such as iBooks, Nook, Kobo and Google Play. Amazon dominates the eBook market in the US and UK (the two biggest markets for eBooks in English) with at least 75% market share (learn more about Amazon’s eBook market share data here).
When we sell eBooks on Amazon, they pay us 70% royalties when priced between $2.99 and $9.99. For books priced lower than $2.99 or higher than $9.99, Amazon only pays 35% royalties. Regardless of how much they pay us, we split the net royalties with you 50/50.
For Print Books: 50% of Net Royalties*
For print books, you’ll get paid 50% of the net royalties we receive as usual. Because the cost of printing varies dramatically depending on trim size, page length, color printing options, and other factors, there’s no way to provide you with an estimated royalty amount you will receive until we know more about your specific book.
For Audiobooks: 50% of Net Royalties*
For Audiobooks, you’ll get paid 50% of the net royalties we receive as usual. Audible dominates the vast majority of market share for digital audiobooks. Audible also sets the pricing based on the length of the audiobook. Therefore, we won’t be able to provide an estimate of your earnings for each audiobook sold until we have an estimate of the total word count for your audiobook script.
For physical audiobooks (such as CDs), we usually license distribution rights to a company that specializes in that market. In that case, you’ll earn 50% of the royalties we receive on any such deals for your books.
*Net royalties means the total amount of money we receive from the sale of a book. For example, if we sell a $19.99 paperback book on Amazon.com and receive $8.86 from Amazon for that sale, the $8.86 is the amount of net royalties we use to calculate your royalties. In this case, the author would be paid $4.43 per paperback book sold.
What services do you provide?
We are a full-service publishing company dedicated to helping you build your author brand and promote your books for long-term success.
Here’s just a taste of what we offer clients:
- Help with book title ideas and selection
- Cover design
- Formatting and publishing for eBooks
- Interior book design for print books
- Audiobook narration, editing, mastering, publishing
- Ongoing marketing campaigns
- Marketing advice, mentorship, and guidance so you can focus on your strengths when it comes to marketing and not waste time doing things you don’t enjoy
- Tracking sales and royalties
- Foreign language rights sales and marketing
- Introductions to leading bloggers, podcasters, book reviewers, and journalists in your market
- And more!
Will I still own the rights to my book?
Yes, you will still own the copyright to your book when you publish with TCK Publishing. If we decide to publish your book, you will simply grant us an exclusive license to publish the book for a term of five years.
Does my book have to be professionally edited?
You don’t have to hire a professional editor for us to publish your book. Our editors provide free copyediting, line editing, and proofreading services to clients.
Will my book be available in international markets?
Absolutely. Your book will be available all over the world in the U.S., U.K., Canada, France, Australia, Germany, Japan, and many other countries through Amazon and other distribution channels.
In addition, we actively market our titles to international publishers year-round as well as at the Frankfurt Book Fair and London Book Fair.
If you’re interested in foreign language rights for TCK Publishing titles, please contact us at [email protected]
I previously self-published my book, or had a different publisher. Can I switch to TCK Publishing?
Yes, assuming you still own the rights to your work.
If you self-published your book, you can definitely switch to us right away. We have had many clients switch from self-publishing to TCK Publishing, and we can make the process quick, easy, and painless for you.
If you published your book with another publisher, you’ll need to look at your publishing contract to see if you still own the rights to your work. If you have questions about whether or not a previous publisher controls the rights to your work, feel free to reach out to us and we’ll do our best to help.
How do I submit my manuscript?
Simply email us your typed manuscript in any digital format. We prefer Microsoft Word files in .doc or .docx format, but we can accept PDFs, .epub, .mobi, and a variety of different file types. If your manuscript is in a different file format, just contact us and we can work with it or find a way to convert it to a workable format.
If your manuscript was typed on a typewriter or handwritten, we will definitely want to get your manuscript typed into a word processor on a computer so that we can edit and publish it.
Do you accept unsolicited manuscripts?
Yes, we do accept unsolicited manuscripts.
We read at least the first few pages of every manuscript submitted that meets our submission guidelines. If your manuscript doesn’t fit our guidelines or there are too many typos, errors, or other issues, we will let you know so you can work on improving your manuscript.
How long will it take to publish my book?
At TCK Publishing, we strive to work hard and get your book published as quickly as possible. However, because the major industry book review services (Publishers Weekly, Midwest Book Review, Kirkus, etc.) require an Advanced Reading Copy (ARC) of books four months in advance of publication, you may have to wait four months after your manuscript has been submitted and approved for publishing.
If you choose to skip the submission process to these industry book review providers, this is how long it will take to get your book published once the editing process is complete:
- For eBooks, usually 14 to 21 days, but expect it to take up to 30 days so you can review cover designs, formatting, and marketing materials before they are published.
- For print books, usually 30 to 60 days.
- For audiobooks, usually 45 to 90 days.
NOTE: If your book requires significant editing work, you will need to hold off on publishing until your book has been thoroughly edited and approved by our editor. Many clients come to us looking for a rush job because they want printed books to sell at an upcoming conference or event. However, if your book isn’t properly edited, it’s much wiser to do the job correctly from the beginning rather than disappointing readers with a rushed book and having to do even more work to fix it later.
Where will my book be sold?
- iBooks, Kobo, Nook and Google Play (maybe)
- In Libraries (maybe)
- In Fortune 500 companies and large organizations through licensing deals (maybe, usually for non-fiction only)
For Print Books
- Bookstores (maybe)
- Libraries (maybe)
- Bulk sales direct to Fortune 500 companies and large organizations (maybe, usually for non-fiction only)
- In digital format on Audible, iTunes and Amazon
- In CD format at CostCo and other retailers (if our audiobook distributors are interested in your book)
What kind of marketing will you do for my book?
Much of the marketing we do for clients changes depending on the market and the opportunities available to the author.
Here are some common marketing tasks we do for clients:
Packaging and Branding
- Ensuring a great book title is selected that is Memorable, Repeatable and Searchable and represents your brand
- Designing a custom book cover that draws attention to you and makes your book stand out from the crowd
- Writing an extraordinary book description for Amazon and other retailers so that potential readers know what your book is about and why they should buy it right now!
- Helping you get legitimate, honest and ethical high-quality reviews on Amazon from influencers and top reviewers in your market or genre
- Advanced market research and competitive analysis for your book and market (learn more about some of the tools developed by TCK Publishing CEO Tom Corson-Knowles for market research at BestsellerRankingPro.com)
- Submitting your book to major book promotion sites, including the two largest ebook promotion sites in the world: BookBub and Buck Books, and other book promotion sites
- Sharing your book on our social media channels with over 50,000 followers
- Promoting your book to our email list of more than 30,000 active readers
- Promoting your book to key influencers in your market or genre, including reviewers, bloggers, podcasters, social influencers, and more
- Introducing you directly to leaders in your market for author newsletter swaps and joint venture (JV) partnerships to help promote your book via email marketing and other avenues
- Creating, paying for, and optimizing ongoing PPC (Pay-Per-Click) ad campaigns targeting your ideal readers and customers
- Taking screenshots when your book hits #1 on various bestseller lists and categories on Amazon (see examples here)
Will you do all the marketing for my book?
No publisher is capable of doing all the marketing for an author. You must learn to connect with fans and influencers directly because it is your fans who will buy your books, tell their friends, and ultimately help you pay your bills.
Fans don’t care who your publisher is. They care about connecting with you—the author. That’s why we invest so much time and money into helping you build your unique author brand. We focus on all the busy marketing and publishing work, so you can focus on what matters most: writing great books and connecting with your audience.
Here are some common marketing tasks we will train you to do so you can grow your fan base faster:
- Creating and maintaining an author website (we can also do this for you)
- Creating and maintaining an active email subscriber list (we can also set this up for you)
- Emailing and connecting with influential bloggers, book reviewers, and authors in your niche or subgenre (we have custom software that can send some of these personalized emails on your behalf)
- Responding to emails and messages from fans
- Creating regular content for your fans (This could mean more books, blog posts, social media posts, images, videos, interviews, merchandise, etc.)
How long does the publishing contract last?
Our standard publishing contract has a five (5) year term and you can renew it if you wish. After the contract expires, you will retain all ownership of your work and will be able to republish it as you see fit. We do not take all your book rights forever like a traditional publisher.
What happens if you reject my submission?
If you submit your manuscript and our editors decide it’s not a good fit for us to publish right now, we will let you know. In that case, you will receive comments and suggestions to help your improve your manuscript.
We strive to provide detailed feedback for each rejected submission so that you will know exactly why your submission was not accepted and what steps you can take to improve your work and your chances of getting a publishing deal.
We don’t believe in the old saying, “you only get one shot.” If you take our advice to heart and work on improving your manuscript, you are welcome to resubmit your manuscript for publishing consideration.
Do you publish every manuscript submitted?
No. We accept less than 5% of manuscripts submitted. If we do not accept your manuscript, we will make some comments and provide resources and recommendations on how you can improve your book.
Do you accept agented submissions?
Yes, we do accept submissions from literary agents and agented authors.
How do I submit my manuscript for publishing consideration?
Authors, you can submit your manuscript directly via our submissions guidelines page.
Literary agents can send submissions on our literary agents page.