Steve Berry is the New York Times and #1 international bestselling author of The Lincoln Myth and several other books. Steve has sold more than 19 millions books and is a modern-day success story in the publishing industry. After Dan Brown’s novels took off in the early 2000’s, Steve was finally able to land a traditional publishing deal for his books which are also in the international thriller / mystery genre.
In today’s show, Steve shares the story of his journey from an unknown, unpublished writer to becoming one of the world’s top novelists. He’ll also share his magic number for how many times he edits his novels, and how you should think about the editing process before you seek to get your book published.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this interview with Steve:
- Why you should protect your novel from prying eyes until you’ve thoroughly edited it again and again by yourself (don’t even think about showing your manuscript to your spouse or editor until you do this!)
- Writing is an incredible career and business. Treat it like a business, not just like a hobby, if you want to earn the big money and make a difference with your work. Steve works full-time, 8 hours a day, consistently.
- Why consistency is key, and the reason you shouldn’t take days or weeks off. Writing is like a muscle, and the more you exercise your writing skills every day, the better you will become and the better your chances of success.
- Steve’s self-editing process. If you can find a typo or mistake when you edit your manuscript, you’re not done self-editing yet and you shouldn’t send it to an editor, otherwise you’re wasting their time and yours!
- Why a strong work ethic is crucial to your success.
- Why Steve created a foundation with the profits from his royalties to educate people about history.
- The best way to choose your genre (and, no, it’s not just about how big the market is; it’s about how bad you want it and loving what you do).
- How that little voice in your head can be your biggest key to success if you’re willing to listen to it (at the right time).
- How to embrace your gifts and put them to good use as an author and writer.
Grab your pen and get ready to take notes, because you’re about to learn how to write better from one of the world’s top authors.
Connect with Steve at http://www.steveberry.org
To learn more about the Publishing Profits Podcast show, join us at http://www.PublishingProfitsPodcast.com
To learn more about TCK Publishing, visit http://www.TCKPublishing.com
Like this post? Click on the image below and share this on your favorite Social Media Platform (like Pinterest!).