Puns can be a great way to break the ice at social gatherings, or to bring a smile to someone’s face (even if it’s only for how corny the joke is!).
Puns require a bit of creativity and some bending of the laws of language. Library puns, or puns about books and book lovers, can easily lift up anyone’s mood, and because they easily engage readers, library puns make perfect additions to your book display or book list.
32 Library Puns
Take a look at these hilarious (and cringe-worthy) library puns that will bring out the book nerd in you:
1. I couldn’t get a reservation, they’re fully booked.
2. A book fell on my head; I can only blame my shelf.
3. I only found out about the library at the end of the street, they’ve been very quiet about it.
4. What building has the most stories? The library.
5. Dewey belong together?
6. ISBN thinking of you.
7. Tequila Mockingbird.
8. You may take your beverages into the library, but please don’t pour milk on our serials.
9. You’ve never read Fitzgerald before? You’ve Gatsby kidding me!
10. Alternative Facts can be found in our Fiction Section.
11. Did you return your books late? Because you’ve got fine written all over you.
12. Are you borrowing all these books? Don’t overdue it!
13. Don’t invite John Milton to our game night; whenever he comes, there’s a pair of dice lost.
14. Don’t look now, but that guy is trying to check it out.
15. Return this book late, and I will Dewey decimate you!
16. I like scary books. Do you have any by ghostwriters?
17. Libraries make shhh happen.
18. The book of incantations didn’t work. The writer had not run a spell check.
19. Have you read the book on teleportation? It’s sure to get you somewhere.
20. This book about anti-gravity is just impossible to put down.
21. The retired librarian is ready to start a new chapter in his life.
22. The books on magic have disappeared.
23. I’m returning this overdue book on speed-reading.
24. Where are the books on reincarnation? They’re at the “Returns” Counter.
25. Iamb yours.
26. Yellow there! Orange you glad there are so many books to be red?
27. This book about Mount Everest is a real cliff-hanger.
28. The guy who didn’t like Lord of the Rings didn’t know what he was Tolkien about.
29. Walden is such a good book because of Thoreau editing.
30. Readers never have any extra time because they’re booked.
31. The guy bought so many books, they fell on him and crushed him. He can only blame his shelf.
32. The top-secret library project is all very hush-hush.
Humor catches attention
As you can see, using humor lets us catch other people’s attention. Some clever librarians have used puns like these to remind library users of overdue books, but the fun wordplay keeps the mood light and the readers coming back for more.
Jokes for Book Lovers
Everyone loves a great play on words, but perhaps none so much as a book lover or librarian.
If you want to flex your creative muscles, try penning a few puns of your own to experiment with the different uses of words.
Do you know any book or library puns? Share them with us in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this post, then you might also like:
- 25 Weird English Words to Expand Your Vocabulary
- 35 British Slang Words We Should All Be Using
- Terms of Endearment: Pet Names from Around the World
- Getting a Handle on Colloquialisms: Using Regional Terms, Expressions, and Dialect
Yen Cabag is the Blog Writer of TCK Publishing. She is also a homeschooling mom, family coach, and speaker for the Charlotte Mason method, an educational philosophy that places great emphasis on classic literature and the masterpieces in art and music. She has also written several books, both fiction and nonfiction. Her passion is to see the next generation of children become lovers of reading and learning in the midst of short attention spans.