If you want to sell more books and get more exposure for your work on Amazon, one of the first things you need to do after each book becomes available for sale on Amazon is setup your Author Central page on Amazon.
Here’s a screenshot of what your Author Central profile will look like once it’s complete:
Why Setup Your Author Central Page on Amazon
Creating and optimizing your Author Central profile page on Amazon can help you:
- Increase your search rankings in Amazon and Google search results
- Increase your page views on Amazon by connecting all your book pages to your Author Central profile
- Increase traffic to your website from Amazon by connecting your blog posts to your Amazon Author Central profile
- Make it easier for readers to discover and buy your books by organizing the complete listing of all your books available for sale on Amazon on one web page where the reader is only two clicks away from buying your book
- Allow you to see customer discussions about your and your work on the Amazon customer forums
- Allow you to quickly see and track your Amazon Author Rank
Here are the steps you need to take to make sure your Author Central profile is set up properly after your first book is published on Amazon:
Step 1. Create an Author Central Account
You will need to follow all the following steps to set up your Author Central profile in each of the major Amazon stores in the US, UK, Germany, France, and Japan.
Here are the links to create your Author Central accounts so you can get started:
United States (Amazon.com)
United Kingdom (Amazon.co.uk)
Step 2. Claim Your Books on Amazon
Each time you publish a new book on Amazon, you need to login to your Author Central account and claim your book.
When you claim your book on Amazon, a few things happen:
The book you claim will appear in your Author Central profile page, allowing readers to click-through from your Author Central profile page to buy your book.
Amazon will create a hyperlink from the author name on your Amazon book page to your Author Central profile page so that readers can quickly see what other books you have written and published on Amazon.
- To claim your book, simply login to your account and click “Books.”
- Next, click the yellow button that says “Add more books.”
- Next, type your author name or the name of your book in the search bar.
- Next, click the yellow button that says “This is my book.”
Step 3. Set Up Your Author Page
Click “Author Page” at the top once you’re logged in to your account to customize your author page.
Here’s what you need to do on this page:
- Write your author biography. Make sure to check your public author profile page after making edits to ensure it’s formatted correctly and there are no typos or grammatical errors.
- Next, add your blog posts to your profile using RSS. If you don’t have an author website with a blog yet, see the free training videos on how to create your own professional author website in two hours. To add your blog posts to your profile automatically, you’ll need an RSS link. If you don’t know what RSS is or don’t have an RSS link, you can use Google’s free feedburner system to create the link for you.
- You can create a vanity URL which is a short, customized URL for your Author Central profile page that is easier for readers to remember. For example, the custom vanity URL for my Author Central profile page is amazon.com/author/business. Your custom URL will have to follow the same format, so it will look like amazon.com/author/yourcustomURLgoeshere
- Add photos of yourself and your books so readers can see what you look like
- Add videos of you talking about your books, or add your book trailer videos to your profile
Step 4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for all the different Amazon Stores
All the links to the various Amazon stores are listed under Step 1.
You can use Google Translate’s free tool to translate the websites for any countries where you don’t speak the language. Even if you only speak English, you can and should still set up your Author Central profile for every Amazon store.
Step 5. Review Your Profile
Once your profile is completed, make sure to do a final review to ensure everything is working properly.
- Make sure the spacing in your author profile and biography looks good. There should be a single line space between each paragraph. Your biography paragraphs should be no more than 3-4 sentences, so you’ll need to split up long paragraphs to make it easier for your fans to read.
- Include targeted keywords in your biography. Your Amazon author profile page can actually rank on page one for Amazon search for various keywords, so make sure you’ve included 5-7 targeted keywords in your biography. (If TCK Publishing is your publisher, we can provide you with the list of keywords to choose from).
- Constantly update your profile page as new books are published. You’ll need to claim each book right away in Author Central as soon as it’s published on Amazon.
- Include a Call to Action (CTA) at the end of your author profile, asking your fans to sign up for your free newsletter or visit your website. You can’t include a hyperlink in your profile text, but you can simply post your website domain (for example: www.tckpublishing.com)
Video Tutorial on How to Setup Your Author Central Page
Below is a video tutorial where I walk you through steps 1-3 so you can see exactly where to click and how to setup your Author Central Page in less than 3 minutes.
Feel free to post your comments or questions below if you need more help setting up your Author Central profile page.
Amazon Author Profile Beta Program
Update: On December 22, 2017, some of our authors started getting emails about Amazon’s new Author Beta Program for managing your author page and profile on Amazon.
Here’s the email:
We invite you to take a special sneak peek at the beta of Amazon Author, the new Author Central experience. For years, authors have relied on Author Central to update their author profiles, highlight editorial reviews and accolades for their books, and track their sales and Sales Rank.
Amazon Author offers a one-stop solution for personalizing your Amazon Author Profile, managing your books, and more around the world. Log in once and you’ll be able to update your Amazon Author Page in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, India and Japan with biographies in each language. With a new-and-improved site design, Amazon Author works beautifully on your smartphone and tablet as well as your computer.
During the beta period, you’ll still access some features, such as Sales Rank and Customer Reviews via Author Central while we work on migrating each to Amazon Author.
You can sign in to our confidential beta with the same Amazon login you use for Kindle Direct Publishing. We welcome and appreciate your feedback as we work to create a great experience for you. Please send us your thoughts at [email protected]. If you have questions or need help, contact [email protected].
The Kindle Direct Publishing Team
We’ll continue to post updates on Amazon’s new Beta program as we learn more and test it out.
Tom Corson-Knowles is the founder of TCK Publishing, and the bestselling author of 27 books including Secrets of the Six-Figure author. He is also the host of the Publishing Profits Podcast show where we interview successful authors and publishing industry experts to share their tips for creating a successful writing career.