Want to spread holiday cheer while making a good impression this year? Don’t be a grammar Grinch!
It’s time to sit down and write those Christmas cards, but if you’re looking for an inclusive holiday greeting that will suit all your friends—regardless of whether they celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas, or just Black Friday—”Season’s Greetings” is an excellent option.
Learn how to send season’s greetings to friends, loved ones, and colleagues this year with proper punctuation.
How to Write Season’s Greetings
Season’s greetings requires an apostrophe between the ‘n’ and final ‘s’ in “season’s” because the greetings belong to the season and all of the holidays included. Generally, this is understood to include everything between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day.
The apostrophe is required not because a season is a person with possessions, but because the phrase should be understood as “the greetings of the season.”
The exact origin of the phrase “season’s greetings” is unknown, but it is believed to have gained popularity around the same time that “Merry Christmas” began to replace “Happy Christmas,” particularly in the United States.
The phrase has also gained popularity as people search for more inclusive holiday greetings that aren’t specific to any one religion (much like “Happy Holidays”).
However, it’s important to note that “season’s greetings” is mostly reserved for written greetings: it’s not really something you would say to anyone in person (in that case, “Happy Holidays” is a better alternative).
‘Tis the Season for Proper Punctuation
Don’t make naughty spelling and grammar mistakes this year—stay on the Nice List by learning how to write some of the most common holiday greetings!
What’s your favorite holiday greeting? Share it in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this post, then you might also like:
- Gifts for Book Lovers: 20 Fun Ideas for the Bookworms in Your Life
- Stranger Things Gifts: The Best Merchandise for Superfans
- Ultimate Gift Guide for Writers: The Best Gifts a Writer Could Want
- Terms of Endearment: Pet Names from Around the World
Latest posts by Kaelyn Barron (see all)
- How to Decline a Job Offer Gracefully (with Examples) - March 19, 2020
- How to Write a Blog Post: A 12-Step Guide for Beginners - March 11, 2020
- 17 of the Most Common Literary Devices Every Reader and Writer Should Know - March 6, 2020