We all want to put our best word forward when it comes to our writing, whether it’s in an email to the boss or an exclusive article that’s going to pay the bills this month.
But proper grammar can be very tricky to master, and sometimes no matter how many hours we lose scrutinizing our every word, we just can’t catch every mistake.
This is where Grammarly can step in and save the day.
Our Grammarly Review
Grammarly promises that its products—powered by artificial intelligence—will give users “great writing, simplified.”
To help you understand how Grammarly might be able to help you, we’ve broken down all the features the program has to offer, including a comparison of its free and paid features and answers to the following questions:
• What Does Grammarly Do?
• How and Where Can I Use Grammarly?
• How Much Does Grammarly Cost?
• Who Is Grammarly Best For?
• Is Grammarly Worth the Hype?
What Exactly Does Grammarly Do?
Grammarly uses artificial intelligence to detect errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation, word choice, and other style mistakes. This can increase productivity for those of us who don’t have time to waste googling grammar rules that we haven’t revisited since the fifth grade.
It’s pretty easy to use, too. Errors will be automatically flagged and underlined in red, so you can easily find every misplaced comma and misspelled word. If you’re not totally clear on what your mistake was, you’ll see a brief explanation along with Grammarly’s suggested change.
Other perks that come with the free version of Grammarly include:
• Grammar Reports: You’ll receive a brief report of your spelling and grammar accuracy. This can be helpful for measuring how much your skills improve over time with the program.
• Grammarly Cards: When errors are flagged, you’ll receive a brief explanation as well as tips on avoiding similar errors.
• Language Settings (English): While Grammarly is currently only available for English texts, it does let you set preferences between American, British, Canadian, and Australian English. Especially if you write for multiple audiences, you’ll be able to easily keep your colors straight from your colours.
• The Grammarly Handbook: Users can access Grammarly’s free online guide, which offers more explanations on grammar and style.
For a price, users can upgrade to Grammarly Premium to unlock the following features:
• Plagiarism Detector: The plagiarism detector for Grammarly checks over 16 billion websites. This could be great for those who hire freelance writers, or if you just want to check that your own work cannot be tied to plagiarism.
• Vocabulary Suggestions: You’ll receive suggestions on alternative words to enrich your vocab.
• Citation Suggestions: This premium feature helps take the work out of researching and formatting citations.
How and Where Can I Use Grammarly?
While users can easily take advantage of Grammarly’s online editor by typing their text in directly or uploading documents, there are several other useful options for checking your work with Grammarly:
• Browser Extension: The Grammarly browser extensions (available for Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge) will ensure that even your Facebook rants are error-free. This could really be a lifesaver for anyone who does a lot of work online, like bloggers or anyone who writes frequently for social media.
• Microsoft Office: For those who prefer getting work done with Word, Grammarly is also available to save your projects and essays from death by mispunctuation. Unfortunately, though, Grammarly for Microsoft Word is not currently supported on Mac.
• On Your Desktop: With the Grammarly app for your desktop, users can easily drag entire files over to the icon and get reports back within seconds. (This is a more convenient alternative to copying and pasting your documents into their online editor).
How Much Does It Cost?
The free version of Grammarly is, of course, available at no cost. To access Grammarly Premium, however, you’ll have the following payment options:
• $29.95/month, if you want to pay by the month
• $19.98/month for a quarterly plan (you’ll be charged $59.95 for 3 months of use)
• $11.66/month for an annual plan (you’ll be charged $139.95 for 12 months of use)
Is Grammarly Worth the Hype?
Grammarly can definitely be beneficial to anyone who writes, whether that’s in a professional or personal context.
Speaking from personal experience, the free features have made my life as a student and as a blogger easier by catching all those little details my tired eyes skipped over.
And if you can put a superb filter on your work for free, why wouldn’t you take advantage of that?
For most, the free version comes with enough great tools that the premium upgrade likely isn’t necessary.
Before you make the leap to premium, make sure you’re really going to use all of the features and get your money’s worth.
Grammarly: Friend of Writers
Overall, Grammarly is a fabulous tool for writers, as it can help take your work from good to great. The free version is definitely worth a go, while the Premium version is best for those who need access to the plagiarism detector or advanced features such as the vocabulary enhancer.
Do you use Grammarly? Tell us what you think in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like:
- 10 Great Proofreading Tools and Software Programs
- 27 Best Blogging Tools
- The Best Novel Writing Software: Tools Every Fiction Writer Should Use
Latest posts by Kaelyn Barron (see all)
- How to Set Boundaries: Healthy Lines to Draw at Work and at Home - January 19, 2020
- 11 Best Books about History: Fascinating Reads for History Buffs - January 18, 2020
- Concrete vs. Abstract Nouns: What’s the Difference? - January 17, 2020