Welcome to the TCK Publishing family! If you’re reading this right now, it’s because you’re a new client and you’re ready to get your book published. Good for you!
You can download a copy of this checklist right here to print out and use as you complete your manuscript and prepare to have it published.
You can also download a copy of the Book Writing Template here to help you write your next book a little bit faster.
Watch the video below to learn more about the checklist and the publishing process:
Video #1. Welcome to TCK Publishing! Watch This Video to Learn More on How to Get on the Fast Track to Becoming a Bestselling Author
TCK Publishing Client Checklist for Video #1
1. Schedule connection call to discuss your plans as an author and for your book(s).
2. Review the contract. Sign and return it if you’re ready to move forward.
3. Send payment.
4. Read the entire welcome email with more details on the publishing process, strategy and your next steps.
5. Finish your manuscript. Focus on completing one book at a time. I highly recommend you schedule your writing time in your calendar on a weekly basis.
6. Self-edit your manuscript. Be as thorough as you can be and make sure you are happy with your book.
7. Get feedback on your manuscript from friends, family, acquaintances or fellow writers. This step is optional but recommended.
8. Have your manuscript edited by a professional. We can provide references for highly qualified editors if you need one. You are welcome to find your own editor as well. Please protect yourself by marking sure you ALWAYS get at least three (3) quotes for any work you need done so that you don’t end up making a very expensive mistake, and get a free sample edit before you choose to hire an editor.
9. Review all changes made by your editor. If you have any questions about changes your editor made, make sure to ask them and get answers. Editing is a process of learning. If you’re not learning from your editor, you’re not asking enough questions and/or you need a new editor!
10. Once you are completely happy and your manuscript is 100% edited and ready for publication, email it to us in a Word document if possible. The file extension should be .doc or .docx. If you can’t save your file as a Word document, send us a PDF instead. Once you send us the final file, we’ll start formatting it for Kindle.
11. Make sure you send us all the information requested in the welcome email along with your manuscript. Please send everything in one email if possible:
a) A professional headshot to include in the About the Author section (unless you’re writing under a pen name and/or don’t want your photo made public.)
b) A short biography that highlights your expertise on the topic about which you’re writing.
c) The exact spelling of the author name you wish to publish the book under.
d) A list of any other published books you have that are currently available for sale along with links to purchase them (if you don’t have any other published books for sale, that’s okay.)
e) Your book in Microsoft Word Format if possible; otherwise, PDF will do.
f) Links to your Facebook Fan Page, Twitter profile, and any applicable website(s) that could be included in the book so that readers can connect with you, and you can build your audience better.
g) I highly recommend creating your own Facebook Group for readers of your books as well to build a community around your books and what you do. Just go to www.facebook.com/bookmarks/groups and click “Create Group” and then send us the link to your group as well so that we can invite readers to join your community. This will be a great source of marketing for you in the future as well.
12. Come up with 5-6 title ideas for your book and email them to us. Together, we’ll brainstorm and finalize the book title and subtitle so that we’re all happy with it.
13. Once you’ve approved the final book title, we’ll start working on the cover design for you. If you have a specific vision for the cover, let us know. If you have already designed a cover previously, please send it to us for review.
14. Once the title is finalized, the cover is completed, and we’ve formatted the book, we’ll send everything to you for a final review. If you approve it, we’ll publish your book!
Congratulations! You’ve completed the publishing checklist.
Do You Write Nonfiction?
If you write nonfiction, make sure to read this article on what it takes to earn a full-time income as a nonfiction author.
Watch More TCK Publishing Client Training Videos
Video #2. Setting Up Your Author Central Profile and Author Biography on Amazon
In this video, we discuss:
- Why you need to set up your Author Central Profile on Amazon.
- Make sure to set up your Author Central Profile for the United States and United Kingdom.
- Set up your US profile here: www.authorcentral.amazon.com (Click Join Now if you’ve never created an Author Central account before in the US store.)
- Set up your UK profile here: www.authorcentral.amazon.co.uk (Click Join Now if you’ve never created an Author Central account before in the UK store.)
- Fill out your author biography, upload at least one picture of yourself, and claim all your books that are currently published on Amazon.
- When a new book of yours is published, make sure to log back in to your Author Central account and claim them.
Video #3. Kindle Countdown Deals vs. Free Book Promotions
In this video, we discuss the differences between Kindle Countdown Deals and KDP Select Free Book Promotions for ebooks, and why we’re starting to do a lot more Kindle Countdown Deals and less Free Book Promotions.
Right now, we’re scheduling most of our Kindle Countdown Deals for a full 7 days (168 hours) at a $0.99 price point to maximize sales, reviews, and exposure during your book launch. At the end of the Kindle Countdown Deal promotion, the price of your ebook will return to its normal retail price, and we will begin price testing to help maximize your royalties.
You should promote your book as much as possible on the first day of the promotion. This means sending an email to your list, sharing a link to your book on social media, and getting the word out to your network about your new book being on sale for just 99 cents. The more sales you can generate on the first day of your promotion, the better your book will sell for the duration of your promotion and the better your chances of becoming a #1 bestselling author on Amazon.
Video #4. How to Get Book Reviews on Amazon Before Your Book Launch
In this video, we’ll talk about one of the most important things you can do as an author when it comes to marketing your books on Amazon: getting reviews.
As a TCK Publishing client, we’ll send you a customized list of Amazon reviewers who have reviewed books similar to yours. All you have to do is reach out to these reviewers and ask if they’d be interested in reviewing your book. Watch the video for more details and instructions on how to get reviews for your books.
We recommend aiming for at least five reviews on Amazon before your first book promotion. This will help ensure you sell the most books possible during your promotion and become a bestseller as quickly as possible.
Video #5. Focus on Your Marketing Strengths
In this video, we talk about getting really focused on using your time to market your books most effectively for you.
There are literally thousands of ways to market a book, but there’s no need to get overwhelmed! Instead of trying to do it all, we recommend focusing on what you love to do and are good at.
If you love public speaking and are good at it, we recommend using that format primarily for your marketing. You could do public lectures, keynote speaking, teach seminars or workshops, record videos, or do podcast, radio or TV interviews.
If you love writing regularly and are good at it, you might want to focus on blogging regularly, writing guest posts for other blogs in your niche, or writing articles for magazines and other print media.
In other words, find what you’re great at and stay focused on using your strengths for marketing. There is no “best” marketing strategy for all authors. The best marketing strategy for you is going to depend on your strengths, skills and values. All good marketing is consistent marketing. If you love what you do every day, then you will continue to do it for months and years to come. It’s that kind of consistency in your marketing that will set you apart from everyone else in your field.
Watch the video below for more on how to focus on your strengths when it comes to marketing your books.
Video #6. How to Use HARO to Sell More Books and Get Free Publicity and Exposure
In this video, we discuss how to use HARO (Help a Reporter Out) to get free exposure and publicity and help you sell more books.
HARO is a free service where you can sign up for daily leads from journalists and reporters in your field. When you see a query from a journalist that you can provide useful information about, all you have to do is respond to the email and you may be featured in their article, interview, blog post or other media.
Video #7. What to Do About Negative Reviews on Amazon
Getting negative reviews and criticism comes with success in any field. Find out what to do when you get a negative review, and how you can use negative reviews and feedback to help improve your book and your skills as an author and writer.
Video #8. How To Create Good Nonfiction Book Titles That Will Help You Sell More Books
In this video, we discuss how to come up with great nonfiction book titles that will actually help you sell more books. There’s an entire art and science to coming up with a good book title, and you’re about to learn more about that.
When you’re working on creating a book title, make sure you realize that it is a process, not a procedure. It often takes several days, weeks or even months to come up with a great book title. Be patient, work through the process, and always write down any title ideas that come to you.
Watch the video below to learn more.
Video #9. How to Create Bestselling Fiction Book Titles
In this video, we discuss how to come up with great fiction book titles that will actually help you sell more books.
We do things a bit differently than most publishers, so make sure you watch this video and learn more about creating a fiction book title.
Video #10. Understanding the Marketing Formula and the Lifetime Value of Your Customers (Readers)
In this video, we discuss the Marketing Formula that every author should know, how to calculate the lifetime value of your customers, how to increase your income as an author, and much more!
Email Marketing Training Video Series for Authors
What is an Autoresponder and why you need one to do email marketing properly
An overview of the best free, budget and premium autoresponders and email marketing tools
Advanced tutorial on how to use Aweber to set up your email list, autoresponder series, optin forms and more
More Great Marketing Resources and Opportunities for Authors
A Digital Book Today Author Interview for Novelists
- This is a free service.
- Requirements at the time of submission: Amazon rating of 4.0+ stars, a minimum of 25 reviews, a fiction novel, and a price between $o.oo – $9.99 on your book.
- Interviews generally are posted 3-6 weeks from the time of submission.
- Great flexibility with this option. Highlight your book. Talk about what inspires you.
- Posted on Digital Book Today.
- Click here to see the sample list of interview questions.
- Modify or combine several interviews you have all ready done.
- Do not send them an interview until they have approved the request. They will send info along with a sample Word document to use as a guide for the layout and links.
- Send a request to AnthonyWessel@DigitalBookToday.com. Subject line: Interview Request. Please include book title and a link to Amazon.
Learn more at http://digitalbooktoday.com/5-dbt-author-interview