Would you like to discover how to become a 5-figure author without wasting time on guesswork?
If you’ve already tried a bunch of things that didn’t work out, it’s not your fault.
There’s so much information out there that it can be confusing. Sometimes it’s that information overload that keeps you from success. It’s okay—every great writer gets overwhelmed at times.
Creating a Process for Success
Throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks is one of the easiest ways to get frustrated with the progress of your career.
That’s because you’re not taking a systematic approach to reaching success.
Have you been winging it with your writing and marketing efforts? Trying out different tools and techniques for a little while, then moving on when they don’t seem to be getting results?
Then you’re not setting yourself up for success!
Succeeding at anything takes perseverance, but it also takes a systematic approach. You have to plan, implement, evaluate, and then iterate.
Let’s take a look at the steps to becoming a successful author.
Every great process starts with a plan. You can’t get to your destination if you don’t know where you’re going, after all!
When you set out to become a successful author, the first thing you have to do is define what “success” means for you, at this moment in time.
Do you want to sell 1,000 copies of your book? Or do you want to sell 1,000 copies this month? Do you want to be able to quit your job? Do you want to simply write and publish a book because it’s a lifelong goal?
All of these are wonderful, valid goals, and all of them form the basis of a solid author plan.
Once you’ve figured out what you want to achieve, break it down into manageable steps.
Let’s say that you want to sell 1,000 books a month. How will you achieve that goal? Outline the steps you’ll take to get there. Some ideas might include:
- Start a Facebook ads campaign
- Leverage Goodreads tools to spread the word about your book
- Write 4 guest posts per month to grow awareness
- Reach out to 25 book bloggers to review your book
Now that you have concrete, actionable steps to take to reach your goal, it’s time to get to work!
In this phase, you’ll tackle each item on the list you made, one at a time, to start moving towards your goal.
Don’t worry about analyzing everything you’ve done. Just put one foot in front of the other and work through your list until you have everything in motion.
Once you’ve checked off the last item on your action list, take a break! Give things a little while to actually settle in and show some results. Now’s a great time to start writing your next book, by the way!
After you’ve given your efforts some time to pay off, take a long, hard look at what you’ve actually accomplished.
First, give yourself a pat on the back for having done so much! Next, critically evaluate each item on your planning list:
- How much effort did it take to implement?
- What were the results?
- Were the results proportionate to the effort? Did you get a lot of great response from doing something simple, or a terrible response from doing something expensive or complicated?
- Was there anything you particularly enjoyed or disliked along the way?
- Did anything get particularly good or bad results?
- Was there anything you weren’t able to measure in terms of either effort or results?
Once you’ve evaluated your process, both in terms of what you put in (your effort) and what you got out (your results), you can update and revise your process.
Maybe you didn’t hit the 1,000 sales mark this month. Where did you come up short?
Were the Facebook ads not working? Try changing your ad or your targeting. If it seemed too expensive, consider dropping that part of your outreach process.
Did people flock to buy your book after getting a few great reviews on book blogs? Consider spending more time sending outreach emails and building relationships with bloggers to leverage that success.
When you use the lessons you’ve learned from your efforts to adapt and improve your process, you’re building a long-term recipe for sustainable success.
Get Expert Advice
No matter where you are on your author journey and how great a process you’ve created for reaching your goals, you can get stuck, frustrated, or just plain tired. This isn’t an easy career choice, even though it can be immensely fulfilling!
If you’ve been concerned that you simply can’t succeed at being a profitable author, I want to let you know that you can do this. You just need the right people to explain it to you.
The Big Five publishers want you to think that you need an agent or that you have to slog through a hundred rejections to be successful, but they’re wrong. They have their own reasons for wanting you to think that, but it’s not true. They don’t benefit from you succeeding; they benefit from selling a lot of books by a lot of different authors, but mainly focus on mega-blockbuster celebrity titles.
They aren’t focused on providing career support—they’re looking at the bottom line.
So that’s what this is about. I know you have a dream to make an impact in the world and I want to show you how you can make it happen.
The key here is for you to challenge yourself.
That’s why I’m bringing you the 5-Figure Author Challenge.
Why a Challenge?
Because a study on the goal-performance relationship revealed that the best results are experienced by people who challenge themselves to achieve them.
People perform better responding to a challenge than to general goals—and now you too can experience the benefits of a challenge and give yourself an edge as an author!
You might have already heard about this on ABC, NBC, or Fox but in case you haven’t, here’s the scoop:
My friend Alinka Rutkowska put together a one-of-a-kind online event with more than 30 top industry experts who share proven strategies that got them to 5+ figures.
And the best part is…it’s on the house!
This challenge is for two types of people:
- For those who are more experienced, you’ll see what has been keeping you from achieving the type of success you want.
- For those who are beginners, you’ll discover how to get it right from scratch.
All it takes to become a successful author is the mastery of these three steps:
Secret 1: Create an irresistible book for a hungry audience.
Secret 2: Drive traffic to that book (organically and non-organically).
Secret 3: Convert visitors into buyers.
That’s what it’s all about.
That’s the helicopter view.
That’s how the 5-Figure Author Challenge is structured.
In this free never-held-before and never-to-be-repeated event, the world’s top authors and influencers open up their locked drawers full of winning formulas that reveal:
- The Secrets of Plotting vs. Pantsing Your Way to a 5-Figure Book (Libbie Hawker)
- How to Craft a Book Idea that Sells and Succeed as an Author (Nina Amir)
- Three Dangerous Misconceptions Preventing You from Finishing Your Book (Andrea Cumbo-Floyd)
- Three Must-Dos before You Hit Publish—Neglecting These Will Cut Your Sales by Half (Michelle Weidenbenner)
- The Ultimate Shortcut to Writing Your Book Fast—It’s Better than Longhand (Donna Kozik)
- Why 72% of Self-Published Authors Never Sell More Than 1,000 Books and What It Takes to Be a 5-Figure Author (Kevin Tumlinson)
- The Single Most Powerful (And Most Overlooked) Strategy to Become a #1 Amazon Bestseller (Dave Chesson)
- What Never to Put on Your Cover: The Reasons Why Readers Don’t Give Your Book a Second Glance (Derek Murphy)
- How to Leverage the Power of Social Media to Build a 5-Figure Income instead of Suffering from Time-Suck and Overwhelm (Kirsten Oliphant)
- The Shocking Mistakes Authors Make that Keep Them from Getting to 5 Figures (Derek Doepker)
- What You Need to Stop Calling Yourself to Become a 5-Figure Author (Jim Kukral)
- Three Common Hurdles that Block Your Way to a 5-Figure Author Career and How to Overcome Them (Honorée Corder)
- The Single Most Effective Strategy 70 out of 75 Successful Authors Put to Use (Eric Van Der Hope)
- Better Than Bookbub: The Three-Step Process to Building a Following on Steroids (Buck Flogging)
- Three Often-Overlooked, 5-Figure Book Launch Strategies You Can Implement Now (Bryan Cohen)
- How to Make Money from Nonfiction Kindle Books (John Tighe)
- How to Create a Foolproof Backend for Your Author Business (Lise Cartwright)
- How to Find the Time in Your Busy Schedule to Write Quality Books (Marc Guberti)
- How to Stand out among Millions of Books on Amazon (Jesse Krieger)
These 30-minute laser-focused sessions will be delivered by speakers who have been featured in The New York Times, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, and many more!
But that’s not all. We’ve also assembled three mind-blowing panels that will get you to 5 figures faster than expected!
- PANEL 1: Cutting Edge Strategies for Marketing and Selling Books in 2017 (Amy Harrop, Liz Mays, Austin Netzley, Kary Oberbrunner)
- PANEL 2: How to Sell Your First 10,000 Copies without Burning Yourself Out (Susan Friedmann, Pamela Hodges, Adam Houge, Monica Leonelle)
- PANEL 3: Traditional vs. Self-Publishing: What’s Right for You? (Jennifer Blanchard, Susan RoAne, Gary Smailes)
If you’re ready to shift from being just another writer to discovering how to become a bestselling 5-figure author, join the FREE 5-Figure Author Challenge now.
For more on earning a full-time author income, read on!
- 16 Ways to Increase Your Author Earnings and Earn a Full-Time Income as an Author
- What It Actually Takes to Earn a Six Figure Income Writing Nonfiction Books
- For Fiction Authors – How To Earn a Full-Time Income Writing Fiction Books